UKWSL has a pool of preferred partners with tried and tested capability in clearance operations. This allows us to quickly and efficiently deliver clearances to sites and clients within close proximity of our clearance partners’ facilities. This helps to reduce the overall environmental impact of the clearance works and provides support to the local community.
Clearances generally arise because of an unregulated and unpermitted accumulation of waste on a site or in an area.
It may be that the site was a waste treatment facility that has not complied with the terms of it’s permit and now requires partial or full clearance as a result of enforcement action. There were almost 600 enforcement actions in England in the 3 years of 2015-2017, many of which were for these types of reasons.
It may be that waste has been illegally dumped on unauthorised land (also known as ‘fly-tipping). Local Authorities dealt with over 1 million such incidents in 2017.
The quantity of waste may be anything from a single bag, through to van loads and in extreme cases hundreds of thousands of tonnes. Although the waste may be hazardous or the access difficult, UKWSL are equipped to handle all types of waste clearances.
Our process might include:+ Click to open
- Site survey and report
- Waste sampling, testing and categorisation
- Project proposal, options, costs, timescales and regular management reporting
- Liaison with Enforcement Authorities and other interested parties such as Environment Agency, Local Authority, Fire and Rescue Service, Housing Association prior to commencement and during the planned works
- Access to environmental and safety experts as necessary to ensure best practice solutions even in most demanding cases.
- Client liaison throughout with agreed reporting content and frequency, site audits and meetings as required.
- Risk assessment- fire, drainage, noise, dust, vermin, waste dispersal, hazardous waste and the necessary control measures to mitigate these
- Special arrangements for hazardous waste eg asbestos
- Site management, cleaning, signage, lighting and security
- Mobilisation of plant and trained personnel to move waste on site, load up as necessary and remove to a suitable treatment facility
- Complete weight traceability of all removed waste, destinations of all treatment facilities and all licences, permits or exemptions for carriers and treatment facilities. Total compliance is guaranteed.
- Valid and completed waste transfer notes and consignment notes for all waste removed
- Alignment with Client environmental objectives so far as practicable eg maximum recycling and recovery with minimal landfill.
- Documented handover confirming the site condition and compliance with agreed contractual standards.
All of this means any clearance must be well planned and managed in order to mitigate the cost, ensure safety of all concerned and minimise the environmental impact. UKWSL has the experience and knowledge to survey, plan and manage the clearance of any site of any size and type of waste, including hazardous.