At UKWSL, we believe we need to continue the move toward a more sustainable use of resources. Concern for the environment and future generations is leading us to shift the focus from waste management to resource management.
Responsibility needs to be shared for improving the environment through partnerships and collaborations that encourage businesses, consumers, and governments to work together to make changes across the whole supply chain – from better product design to easier product reuse and recyclability.
UKWSL have been awarded “Gold” status as a member of the Supply Chain Sustainability School which is backed by the UK’s top construction contractors and clients. With growing populations and increasing demand on finite resources the need to tackle sustainability issues is paramount. We need to decouple the link between economic growth and increased environmental impact whilst at the same time delivering increased social value for the communities in which we operate. In essence we need to deliver more from less.
UKWSL through its supply chain committee have developed several goals and targets which include:
- Even greater emphasis on delivering sustainable solutions to help our customers achieve zero waste to landfill
- Delivering a balanced portfolio approach to waste management and disposal by sourcing alternative partners who have developed infrastructure in all existing and emerging waste treatment technologies including energy from waste, gasification, material recovery and anaerobic digestion facilities
- More sophisticated reporting developed through our bespoke enterprise system “The Hub”, concentrating on areas such as materials recycled or recovered, carbon emission savings, carbon offsetting, accurate weight data etc.
- Supply Chain sustainability database which covers all suppliers and grades them in respect of their environmental practices.
- Ensuring compliance to all statutory legislation & regulations
There are also many sustainability targets and goals that we have set to ensure our Customers are delivering many environmental and sustainability benefits for their businesses, including:
- Promote sustainability measures by utilising engagement campaigns supported with marketing materials such as posters, toolbox talks, waste journey boards, extranet & awareness days
- Zero Waste to Landfill Policies to ensure we are exhausting all options available before considering landfill
- Waste compliance Manuals to ensure our customers know how to identify, handle and store waste streams to deliver best practice across their estates.