Communication is the key to engagement. It contributes to the successful delivery of a scheme, it stimulates and helps maintain an interest in how individuals can better manage their waste and contributes to a healthier environment. It is not enough simply to have a strategy; it needs to be implemented and embedded throughout the business. In our experience, this requires internal communication and training for key stakeholders. By sharing knowledge of key sustainability issues, stakeholders will understand and support changes that will benefit the client. A creative campaign that inspires, motivates and makes every day actions relevant will ultimately determine whether our clients achieve their environmental aspirations and deliver a truly sustainable future. UKWSL can create bespoke campaigns to support our clients in delivering this vision.
Ensuring a business has the right working culture for waste handling requires education. We will often hear our clients’ staff say “I didn’t know which bin to put this waste into” or “I didn’t think this could be recycled”. At UKWSL we recognise that education and training is essential to ensuring our clients achieve their environmental goals. We can provide clients with the following training tools:
- Waste Smart Training courses can be delivered at a Foundation or Advanced level and are supported by the Chartered Institute of Waste Management (CIWM). The course content is regularly reviewed to ensure it is up-to-date and reflects best practice, available technology and current legislation. They are designed to be easily digestible with a delegate workbook to use during the course and keep as a reference source. The courses are supported by the Environment Agency, Environmental Services Association (ESA), Waste Management Industry Training Advisory Board (WAMITAB), Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP) and DEFRA who are all key influencers in regards to waste management information, education and enforcement.
- Webinars will teach our clients’ staff how to navigate and effectively use our online portal, the Hub. These webinars will be delivered by our in-house Hub Training Coordinator. Approved users can quickly and confidently request additional services and report problems, creating a swift and reactive service platform with transparent accountability.
- Welcome Packs are provided at mobilisation, providing clear communication lines and service information.
- Our Marketing Agency will create bespoke posters and signage using clear colour schemes and visuals to identify which waste types go in which bins.
- Tool Box Talks are used to practically teach best practice on site, typically to cleaning teams and other waste handlers. With the support of our marketing agency partner, we design and build bespoke training material. This has included the use of multi-lingual instructional signs, stickers and cards in addition to pictorial based instructions, to transcend potentially broader language barriers.
- Waste Manuals are developed to assist in our change management programmes.